The MK Scholarship is open until May 1, 2021
The ISMK Program, AGWM Regional Offices, and other partners are privileged to provide scholarship opportunities annually for active AGWM MKs who have served on the field a minimum of four years. The standard scholarship amount is $1,000 (amounts may be supplemented based on funds available).
The application is active January 1 through May 1. Only one application per year is necessary; once applied for, MK applicants will be considered for every scholarship available (see specific application eligibility/requirements under each scholarship description below). MKs may reapply annually with the same or a new essay. MK applicants are eligible to receive a maximum of one scholarship per year from ISMK.
Steps to Apply for All Scholarships:
(see specific application eligibility/requirements under each scholarship description)
- Fill out an MK Scholarship application form, available through the MK Office or online at ismk.org.
- Write an essay of no more than five pages on the topic “How growing up as an MK influenced my career choice.”
- Fill out the online scholarship application, attach your essay and/or project, and submit. All completed applications and essays/projects must be received prior to May 1.
- Essays will be reviewed by the ISMK Advisory Committee. The identities of the MK applicants will be withheld from committee members.
- Essays will be rated on a point system. The essays receiving the highest points for each scholarship category will be awarded the scholarships.
- Winning scholarship funds will be distributed the second week of August.
- Clarity of thought
- Understanding of how your MK identity or culture influenced your career decision
- Ability to communicate clearly how the past is influencing your future
- Clear thesis
- Use of correct spelling and grammar
The MK Regional Scholarship was created through donations from the Regional Offices. Each Regional Office has a desire to invest in MKs from their region. One MK applicant from each region will be awarded a scholarship. To be eligible for the Regional Scholarship the MK applicant’s parents must be current AGWM missionary in that region.
The ISMK General Scholarship was created through donations by faith organizations and individuals. There are no unique requirements to be eligible for the MK General Scholarship as long as you have served on the field a minimum of four years. Special thanks to Brother John Bueno and Randy Hurst for their work in making this scholarship available. We are continuing to raise funds for this scholarship.
The ISMK Memorial Scholarship is for MK applicants who are studying with a major in public service including: military, law enforcement, humanitarian, public service, social work, education, counseling, or a similar field of study. Any AGWM MK may apply who has lived overseas a minimum of four years and is pursuing one of the majors listed above. This scholarship has been made possible through contributions to the J.J. Smeya and Phil Billings Memorial fund.
Phil and J.J. were both highly involved in ministry to MKs. They volunteered on MK Task Forces and ministered during the summer MK programs. Their involvement enriched many lives. It is in memory of these two outstanding MKs that we are able to offer this scholarship. We continue to raise funds to have this scholarship fully endowed.
The SEU Alumni ISMK Scholarship is made possible through anonymous donations from MK alumni graduates of Southeastern University. To be eligible for this scholarship, the MK applicant must be enrolled as a full-time student at SEU for the upcoming school year.
The MK Alumni Visual Arts Scholarship is made possible by donations from Commission Creative, a design team for missionaries, founded by MKs in 2003. To be eligible for this scholarship, the MK applicant must have a major or minor in Graphic Design, Mass Media (Film), or Digital Arts.
To apply for this scholarship, the MK applicant must submit the ISMK Scholarship Application, essay, and an additional project showing his/her creative art related to one of the majors listed above. Submit along with your application, the project with a brief description about the project and applicant’s major by PDF file or a link to view the project.